This will contain spoilers. You have been warned.
Reminder that True Blood is a TV-MA show, so commentary will follow as such.
Yeah, I know this show is ancient, but it took me a while to get through the books and I wanted to finish the series before I started the show, so here we are.
Much like my 13 Reasons Why liveblog (which I never finished, sorry about that!), this is just going to be a line of blog posts where I blog my feelings about the episode as I watch it, then wrap up the episode in a mini review at the end. It’ll be interesting, because I’m not sure I’ll remember a whole lot about the first few books, because it’s been a long time since I read them.
Also, I’ve heard literally nothing about this show. At all. Somehow, I managed to completely miss all hype and buzz about it wholly and that means I’m jumping into this blind. All I know are the books.
- The only thing I ever watch by HBO is Game of Thrones, so when their theme song didn’t immediately follow the HBO opening I was caught off guard for a second there
- Is. Is that Mila Kunis?
- No never mind, totally not.
- Girl don’t do that while you’re driving. That’s bad driving safety.
- Did she just claim vampires have never owned slaves? Uhhhh.
- Not … sure about that intro.
- Oh, is that supposed to be Sookie?
- I pictured her more voluptuous, less skinny. She mentions like at least five times per book that she’s not on the skinny side of things.
- Was that Sam???
- WHERE’S THE RED HAIR???
- Omfg is that Tara?
- I love her.
- Okay Arlene looks exactly like I expected.
- They do portray the mind-reading thing nicely. It overlaps what they’re actually saying some, which is cool and feels more realistic. As realistic as mind-reading can be, I guess.
- I’m glad he’s getting screen time because he got cheated in the books.
- Same, Sookie. Same.
- Death by sex. Okay. Sure.
- Same, dude whose name hasn’t been said yet. Same.
- Wait, is that Jason?
- That seems like Jason honestly.
- Oh for god’s sake IS THAT BILL.
- COME ON.
- THAT IS NOT BILL SHUT UP.
- Also this scene is so stupid, what is that music.
- That sex tape is just weird.
- I mean I know the concept itself is weird but urg.
- OH SHIT I REMEMBER THIS PART.
- Gdi we don’t even know who these two are go back to Sookie.
- I mean I bet it’s Jason but still.
- GET ‘EM SOOKIE.
- You know, I distinctly remember Bill being glad he shaved the morning he was turned. Did I make that memory up?
- Is it just me or is some of this just plain awkward.
- Was it this awkward in the books?
- “That’s fucked up.” “Ya think?” Best lines so far.
- KNEW IT WAS JASON.
- He looks a lot younger than I expected.
- But I forget how old he is right now.
- Tara is best. Those expressions.
- I see that Charlaine Harris book.
- TINA D:
- Was Bill supposed to be this creepy.
- He looks like a creepy psychopath hobo or something.
- Oh she’s dreaming, isn’t she.
- God that was so CREEPY.
- Omfg I have that bikini top.
- Okay that was a perfect Sookie/Jason interaction. I enjoyed that a lot.
- I like these scenes with the sister/brother combo the best, they feel the least weird.
- I do hope we see more Sam/Tara interaction though, because that was hilarious.
- Jason can you maybe just not be totally suspicious just a little?
- Seeing things outside of just Sookie’s head is pretty interesting, ngl. I like it.
- These weird ass scenes.
- Stop it.
- Hold on, she’s not supposed to be able to read Sam’s mind.
- Did this come out before that was a thing?
- Regardless, weird af scene.
- I JUST REALIZED WHY I RECOGNIZE THE ACTRESS. IT’S ROGUE.
- Okay sorry.
- We’re good.
- This is fine.
- Jesus christ Sam, what the hell.
- Whoooooa there are we supposed to know about Sam’s feelings for Sookie this early? I honestly can’t remember.
- What is happening.
- Holy crap.
- Well that was an ending. Okay.
So, that was kind of weird. I could see how it connected back to the books easily enough, but I’m pretty miffed about some of the changes they made. Not all of them though, but I have a feeling this won’t be the end of the changes to come. I liked a lot of it though, especially after having read the books first, so I’m interesting in continuing so I can see where it goes next. They picked a really good spot to end the first episode, too.
I’ll just have to get used to the weird scenes (and I’m not talking about the sex ones — though those were a little odd, too, but I guess that was just because of what was happening in addition to the sex), because they’re probably not going to stop.
Onto the next!